A very easy to make beetroot salad that’s very tasteful and delicate thanks to the French fresh sheep cheese called breuil et l’association de cumin qui va très bien avec la betterave ! Le tout est légèrement parfumé avec du vinaigre de Xérès et crée une harmonie en bouche qui va très bien avec des viandes ou des poissons !
In two words:
- 2 big beetroots already cooked
- 100gr of the French fresh sheep cheese breuil (or fresh Greek myzithra or Greek anthotyros or maybe Italian ricotta)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin in seeds
- 1 clove of garlic of medium size
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of Xérès red wine vinegar or any other red wine vinegar
- 2 pinches of fleur de sel or coarse salt
- 15 turn mills of Kampot black pepper
- Slice the beetroots in small dices and place them in a bowl
- Peel and dice finely the garlic
- Heat-up a small casserole or pan and once hot add the cumin seeds and roast them to reveal their perfume even more
- Sprinkle the fresh sheep cheese breuil or if you use anthotyro or myzithra use your finger to break them down and sprinkle them on top of the beetroots
- Sprinkle the roasted cumin seeds on top of the beetroots
- Sprinkle the garlic dices on top as well
- Pour the oil and the vinegar
- Salt and pepper and toss well everything together to spread the ingredients in a homogenous way
- Enjoy! It’s very good and so delicate!
What’s the story behind this recipe?
The French fresh sheep cheese called breuil or greuil greuilis a cheese made at the Pays-Basque or the Béarn in France! It’s quite fine and very light in fat! It can be eaten with sweets or in savory food like in this recipe!
I added as an alternative in this recipe the use of other Greek fresh cheese such as myzithra cheese and anthotyros (which literally means the flower of the cheese) that I used to find in Paris. I added them because I know their taste as well as their texture and they go very well with the rest of the ingredients. Try them and you will see :-) and please tell me all about it!
Otherwise, I also thought of the Italian cheese ricotta ricotta cheese as an alternative even though I do not know it very well but then you can try it and tell me all about it as well!
Nevertheless, if you ever find the French cheese breuil just give it a try! It’s so delicate that deserves a place in our everyday food even in France! It’s up to you now :-)
o-o C'est si bon ! o-o