Velvety and lemony beef stew with a sweet bitterness thanks to the lemon juice and mustard sauce. Green peppers go very well with this sauce and add a special touch to the whole. This is a traditional Greek dish, easy to make and inexpensive.In two words:
- 320gr of beef cut in big pieces proper for preparing a stew
- 1/3 of a big onion or a small one
- ½ of a medium size garlic glove
- 1 green pepper (not very big)
- 1 lemon
- 1 level teaspoon of strong mustard (eg. Dijon)
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 3 teaspoons of oregano
- 500ml of hot water
- ½ of a teaspoon of coarse salt or fleur de sel
- 10 turn mills of Kampot black pepper
- Peel and chisel the onion
- Cut the garlic in very small dices or press it with a garlic press
- Slice the pepper in vertical stripes and then cut them in three
- Press the lemon and add to the lemon juice the mustard
- Mix everything with a fork as to prepare the lemony sauce
- Heat-up a medium saucepan
- Add the onion and stir constantly until its humidity evaporates a little bit
- Add the olive oil and stir until it becomes a bit brown
- Add the garlic and stir as well
- Add the peppers and stir until they lose their crispiness
- Add the meat and stir until they turn golden on all sides
- Add the lemony sauce and stir with a wooden spoon
- Add the hot water
- Add salt, pepper and oregano and stir
- Put the lid on and cook at medium heat for 55’. Check the water during cooking and add some if it is necessary.
- Serve with a bit of rice and enjoy!
What’s the story behind this recipe?
This dish is a big classic in Greek cuisine. It’s called lemonato or λεμονάτο , which means the lemony one. It used to be one of my favorite dish when I was a student because it’s easy to make and delicious. Try it and you will not be disappointed.
Stews can also be prepared in a pressure cooker and are done in 30’ after the first whistle; by the way, when I started cooking, I used to use the pressure cooker a lot because meals were prepared much faster. But, traditional cooking gives a soft touch to the dish; moreover, it is said that food keeps all its nutritional values. Therefore, pressure cookers are to be used only as an emergency measure.
o-o C'est si bon ! o-o