These potatoes in the oven are coated with goose or duck fat and the zest of mandarin and they are “dressed” nicely for Christmas even if we are alone or if we celebrate Christmas with family! The taste of mandarin is there in a subtle manner, the duck fat gives a particular taste to the dish and the bay leaf gives up its aroma for the good of everyone! Try these potatoes as a side dish for this Christmas poultry and celebrate Christmas in a delicate atmosphere!
In two words:
- Preheat the oven at 180°C
- Peel the potatoes
- Add enough cold water in a casserole to cover up the potatoes
- Turn the heat on and place the potatoes into the casserole
- Cook at least 20’-25’ in medium heat until the potatoes are slightly cooked and keep their crunchiness a bit
- Take them out of the water
- Take the zest off from the mandarin with a peeler
- Slice the potatoes in big and thick slices
- Add the goose or duck fat into a tray going to the oven
- Place the potatoes, the mandarin zest and the bay leaf in the tray
- Add salt and pepper
- Toss everything in order to spread the duck or goose fat as well as salt and pepper everywhere onto the potatoes
- Cook for 40’ and toss everything again mid-way
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and slightly press their surface on top with a potato masher or the back of a fork
- Cook the potatoes for another 10’
- Enjoy them with a Christmas dinner or when you want to have Christmas again and it misses you :)
For this recipe I was inspired for the recipes by the famous British Chef Jamie Oliver that you can find on youtube.
I you like mandarin you can add a little bit more because the taste of mandarin in this proportion is rather subtle.
o-o C'est si bon ! o-o